DIVINE WORD COLLEGE OF CALAPAN
Divine Word College of Calapan is a Catholic institution of higher learning which was established in 1946 by Fr. Benito Rixner, SVD.
DWCC in under the management and supervision of SVD Missionaries. It has three campuses: Janssen Campus (College Campus) located at Santa Maria Village, Frienademetz Campus (Basic Education Campus) in Tibag, Calapan City and DWCC South Campus (for DWCC Senior High School) in Pinamalayan, Oriental Mindoro.
It traces its roots more particularly on the missionary work of Society of the Divine Word (SVD) missionaries. SVD was founded by Saint Arnold Janssen on September 8, 1875 in the Netherlands. He also founded the Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit (SSpS) and the Sisters Servant of the Holy Spirit for Perpetual Adorations (SSpSAP).
Engagement in the Province of Oriental Mindoro
A. With Government Agencies
The college participated in the planning and implementation of government projects:
1. For Environmental concern, the college initiated the Bangklase Project, Mangrove Rehabilitation Project, adopted an Estero Project, and the college represented the academe community as representative/ member in the Protected Area Management Board (PAMB) of the Naujan Lake National Park (NLNP) and the Airshed Governing Board.
2. The Community Extension Services (CES) of the different academic departments and organizations conducted to various barangay are based on their field of specializations.
3. The National Service Training Program (NSTP) served as an arm of the Community Extension Services (CES) Office in the implementation of programs and projects during the second semester in the selected barangays.
4. The School-Based Public Employment Services Office (PESO) through the Media and Alumni Affairs Office (MEAO) in providing more job opportunities for the new DWCC Graduates and to fellow Mindoreños.
B. With Non-Governmental Organizations
1. The college is involved in the planning and implementation of some non-governmental organizations (NGO's) like The Philippine Society of NSTP Educators Incorporated (PSNEI), Oriental Mindoro Nework (OrNet), Mindoro Biodiversity Foundation Incorporated (MBCFI), Kaibigan Foundation Incorporated (KFI), Likas Diwa Foundation (LDF) and Ayala Foundation Incorporated (AFI).
C. With Business/Commerce and Industry
1. On the job training (OJT) and internship program of the college to various local offices and organizations.
D. With Church Groups
1. Students' participation in their Parish/Chapel's activities.
2. DWCC Campus Ministry Office (CMO) core group is available for Retreat/recollection facilitation.
3. A regular Community Extension Services (CES) of DWCC SVD administrators during holy week, December Simbang Gabi and sacramental services to the nearby communities/organizations.
4. SVD 4CD CAMP; The camp is a comprehensive volunteering program that seeks to harness the Filipino youth's passion in helping the society by stimulating in them the SVD Mission spirit through the SVD Characteristic Dimensions; Biblical, Social and Communication, Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation (JPIC) and Mission Animation. The camp is a 5-day summer alternative event designed for plenary sessions, conferences, religious experience, sharing, engaging activities, outdoor challenges and Community immersions.
E. With the General Population
1. Relief Operation during calamities and disaster.
2. The college two (2) gymnasiums serve as evacuation centers during disaster and calamities.
3. NO HOLDS BARRED (NHB); The college's TV Porgram in partnership with the local television network that features social issues of interest to the local community.
Outreach Programs and Activities
On a National Level
The college participated in the national program of the government like The National Greening Program and partnered with national-based organizations for the conduct of various advocacies. The institution is willing to collaborate with national program or projects of the government.
The present CES Office Program Coordinator is Officer and Board Member of Philippine Society of NSTP Implementers Incorporated (PSNEI). PSEI is an organization of HEI's in the implementation of NSTP Programs and Projects.
The resources of the institutions both human resources and facilities are available for the service of the local community. DWCC as an institution has become a credible partner of the LGU's and private organizations in the delivery of various projects, initiatives and advocacies.